Charcoal active carbon face mask benefits and disadvantages. The truth is that no one knows exactly when the properties of carbon were discovered. However, it extends to such a depth of time that scientists can not even date when it was first used in everyday life. The ancient Indians used coal to purify drinking water and the Egyptians used it from 1500 BC. to detoxify their body. It is also known that the father of Medicine, Hippocrates, often used carbon in his various treatments. Let’s see more about “Charcoal active carbon face mask benefits and disadvantages”.
What is activated carbon and how is it produced?
Carbon is a completely natural product. It is essentially a fine, odorless, tasteless, and non-toxic black powder. It can be produced from peat, bamboo, coal, wood, sawdust, coconut husk, olive kernels, and oil. Activated carbon is similar to ordinary carbon, but differs in the way it is processed. Activated carbon is heated in a controlled environment and in a vacuum. Thus it acquires an extremely porous surface. These tiny holes, or pores, can increase the surface area of
Thus, it can bind various substances that come in contact with it, in liquid or gaseous form and in quantities many times its weight. One cubic centimeter of activated carbon has the same area as an area of
Uses of active carbon mask
Activated carbon is used as an absorbent filter material in applications as diverse as anti-asphyxiation masks, water purifiers, kitchen hoods, and in medicine for the absorption of toxins, poisons, or gases from a digestive system. It is mainly used in water treatment systems, medicines, purification of various substances, car catalysts, etc.
It is a staple of domestic water filtration worldwide. In water filters, we find both granular (powdered) activated carbon and solid activated carbon. Solid carbon may have a slightly smaller absorption surface than granular carbon, but when placed in a household water filter it can also mechanically filter water from larger particles (dust, dirt, rust, pebbles, etc.).
You probably already know that a hydrating face mask works wonders for your skin. But lately there has been one specific ingredient that makes masks and cleansing products even more effective. Activated charcoal or activated charcoal is used in many products to combat impurities. Charcoal is more than a trend, it is a fully-fledged part of your care routine to achieve radiant skin. We are happy to explain how it works and how you can enjoy it.
How does active charcoal work?
Activated charcoal or activated carbon is created by burning peat, coconut and nut shells, coal or other organic materials in large ovens. The main property of activated carbon is that it absorbs extremely well and absorbs toxic substances. For example, a piece of cabbage can absorb more than 1000 times its own weight. It attracts the smallest dust and dirt particles like a magnet.
Active charcoal does all that on your face: the impurities, black dots, accumulations of sebum and other dirt are, as it were, sucked out of your pores. In combination with other cleansing ingredients, a care product with activated charcoal will therefore thoroughly clean your skin. At the same time, a good product for your face leaves the natural oils of your skin that protect you from the sun’s rays and other harmful elements from the outside.
If you live or work in a busy city, you will benefit even more from keeping your skin clean and deeply cleansed with a charcoal mask. In addition to make-up, your face will absorb small particles as a result of air pollution, which clogs your pores. This again leads to subcutaneous deposits, excess sebum, and black dots. Let activated charcoal be your panacea for wiping the city off your face. Other than Charcoal active carbon face mask benefits and disadvantages, we will have a look at why use active coal for the skin.
Why use activated charcoal for skin care?
Choose a product with activated charcoal as the main ingredient. A face mask with charcoal is the most effective: you can treat your entire face and literally wash or pull impurities from your face. A mask with charcoal needs 15 minutes to work in. This way the charcoal can absorb all substances from your pores well. The excess sebum is also absorbed, which will reduce pimples and black dots (caused by an accumulation of sebum).
How can I use charcoal on my face?
It is always best to pamper your skin with a facial mask or cleanser after your daily cleansing ritual, in the morning or in the evening. Remove make-up, wash your face thoroughly with a cleansing product, and pat your skin dry (don’t rub!). Take your mask, and spread a thick layer over your face. Avoid the eye contour and mouth.
Leave the active carbon charcoal mask on your face for 15 minutes and then remove gently with lukewarm water or a damp towel. You will notice that the impurities and clogged pores on your face are nowhere to be seen.
Clearly, your skin needs a combination of hydration and purification? Then the Charcoal & Algae hydrating sheet mask is your panacea. Thanks to the activated carbon, your impurities disappear and the extra moisturizing ingredients soothe your skin and make it wonderfully soft and shiny in just 15 minutes. Your skin will glow like never before.
How to treat my skin after a charcoal mask?
After applying a mask against black dots or impurities, whether or not the mask contains activated charcoal, you should be extra kind to your skin. That means: wash gently, do not dry too roughly, and moisturize. Before diving into bed, it’s important to apply your regular day or night cream to nourish your skin and pores.
Avoid products that are too greasy. If you have oily or combination skin, a Pure Active mask in combination with a mild evening cream will protect you against pimples and wrinkles.
There are many products with (extra) charcoal to clean your face. A product that gives you all the benefits and will speed up your facial care is the Pure Active Intensive 3 in 1 Charcoal mask: it is at the same time a mask, a cleanser, and a scrub. Three benefits in one product and the perfect way to test activated charcoal and include it in your beauty routine for healthy and radiant skin.
What makes charcoal mask effective and who is it suitable for?
A charcoal mask contains activated carbon. Actually, activated carbon works like a magnet: it attracts and sucks up dirt from the pores. Charcoal is not absorbed by the skin, so it does not dry out. A charcoal mask is best suited for people with oily, slightly blemished skin. You could think of the combination skin type, such as people with normal skin who have an oily T-zone. In addition, women sometimes suffer from (extra) impurities during their menstruation. A charcoal mask can then be a good solution.
A charcoal mask is less suitable for (severe) acne. If you have serious blemishes, the mask is probably not effective enough. For acne, you need more active ingredients than just charcoal. There are also people who exfoliate with the charcoal mask, which is not a good idea for acne. With acne, you can choose a product with charcoal, combined with other effective substances that are suitable for acne skin.
What else is important to watch out for when using a charcoal mask?
- Preferably choose a powder to which you add water yourself to make a mask. Many (cheap) ready-made charcoal masks have ingredients that can irritate.
- Do not use the mask every day, as this can eventually cause irritation and dehydration.
- Avoid scrubbing with a charcoal mask. You can better remove dead skin cells on your face with an exfoliant based on salicylic acid or glycolic acid. This is more effective and you will not damage your skin barrier with it.
- Movies circulating on the internet of charcoal masks to which glue has been added. These charcoal masks stick to your face, and the idea is that you will have extra clear skin after removal. These are called ‘peel off’ charcoal masks. The addition of glue makes it difficult and painful to remove the mask. Never use a face mask with gluey substances. You damage your skin barrier with this! This is not worth it. A natural charcoal mask is effective enough and is not painful to remove.
- Also never do: add lemon juice to your mask, this is irritating. While it does cleanse, lemon juice is definitely not suitable for your face.
- What you can do to combat and disinfect blemishes is to add a drop of tea tree oil to your mask.
If you buy a powder yourself and don’t use the mask too often or add glue to it, you can really enjoy it. In short: keep the mask simple to avoid irritation. Below we briefly explain how to use such a mask.
See also, The hype about activated carbon masks
In short: how do you use a charcoal mask?
A charcoal mask is not difficult to use, even if you make it yourself with charcoal powder. Below is a step-by-step description of how to prepare it. Clean your face in advance with your cleanser or cleansing milk. Your toner comes after the mask. This is how you proceed:
- If you bought a powdered charcoal mask, it requires water to activate it. This is because charcoal becomes active when it comes into contact with water. So you take a bowl, put some powder in it and carefully add some water, until the substance is suitable for applying to your face.
- You can apply a mask from a tube directly to your face. Apply a good coat, but not too thick.
- Let the mask sit for about 15 minutes so that it can do its job properly.
- Rinse the mask thoroughly, but gently. Especially if you have blemishes, try not to exfoliate.
- After cleansing your face with a toner or micellar water, you can be sure to remove all charcoal and dirt from your pores.
It is best to use a facial mask 2 to 3 times a week. Using it more often becomes a bit too much for your face. Let’s talk about Charcoal active carbon face mask benefits and disadvantages.
Charcoal is excellent for removing blackheads
You know them: blackheads. These are the small pimples on the skin that you can recognize by a white, yellow, or black point. Blackheads usually occur with pimples (acne vulgaris), but adults can also be affected. People with oily skin are more sensitive to these types of pimples. Blackheads can also appear on your face without acne. In women, irritating makeup and hormonal change can also cause blackheads.
The charcoal mask is an effective life hack to remove small blackheads. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes, rinse it off, and then the blackheads will be less annoying or have disappeared. Removing dirt from your pores is also useful to prevent these nasty bitches from getting a chance. A charcoal mask therefore also works preventively against blackheads. Optionally, you can add one or two drops of tea tree oil to your (homemade) charcoal mask for extra cleaning.
Your skin feels clean and smooth
One of the advantages of a charcoal mask is that your skin feels wonderfully smooth afterward. Do you have a party in the evening or are you going to do something else where you want a fresh face, then pampering yourself with a clay mask in the morning is a good idea. So use a simple charcoal mask without irritating additives or even worse: the peel-off mask with glue. There are many benefits of charcoal peel off mask.
Air pollution? With a charcoal mask, you clean your face.
Nowadays there are more and more (expensive) cosmetic products that respond to air pollution in the city. For real city men – and so women. Indeed, there is more air pollution in the city, and then a charcoal mask is effective to rid your face of the dirt in the air. Not expensive, but effective and the smooth feeling makes your face feel extra pure and clean. So double profit.
Use the charcoal mask to give your skin extra cleansing after a night out.
After a festival or an evening going out, cleaning your face sometimes does not matter. This is especially annoying for women because make-up residues make your face dirty and can irritate. To get your skin beautifully clean again, remove any make-up first. Then you apply the charcoal mask to give your skin extra cleaning. Before you know it you will have a clean, fresh face again. Like you never went out!
Relax and detox with a charcoal mask
If you take it easy to relax your body, your face can also use a boost and an extra clean. Grab a book and let your charcoal mask work for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off afterward and you have a beautiful, clean face ready for sleep. The next morning you wake up with a clear and clean face.
A charcoal mask is effective, but keep it simple.
A charcoal mask is an excellent way to cleanse your skin and fight blackheads. Keep your mask simple and buy a good quality ready-made mask or make your own. Do not add glue or lemon, as this will irritate. You will find many tips on this, but this does more harm than good. A simple foundation is best for a charcoal mask to work properly. At times when your face could use a good cleaning, the charcoal mask is very effective. You will see that your face is extra smooth and clean afterward.
Activated carbon and cosmetics
An important fact that many are unaware of, is that activated carbon is actually a 100% natural and safe product. Thanks to the ability to absorb almost everything, it is now an ingredient in dozens of beauty products with excellent results. So get to know some of its unique uses.
- Reduces the size of the pores and fights dark spots.
During the day, toxins accumulate on the skin and block the pores, leading to the creation of dark spots that are difficult to get rid of. Activated carbon binds these toxins and helps keep skin clean and soft. Facial cleansers enriched with activated carbon are the ideal solution for clean and radiant skin.
- Takes care of oily skin
Problems with oily skin? Then you probably do not use the right product. A face cleanser or face mask with activated carbon will help cleanse your skin from excess oil. But do not overdo it. Once or twice a week is enough.
See also, Natural beauty tips for oily skin
- Makes your teeth whiter!
Do you have yellow teeth and whitening at the dentist is not in your immediate plans? Then activated carbon toothpaste may be the product for you. Thanks to its excellent cleaning power, activated carbon improves the color of your dentures. A black toothpaste may not seem like the perfect solution but it still works.
Charcoal active carbon face mask benefits and disadvantages
- It removes the dirt and dust that stick to the inside of the pores of the face.
- Helps to freshen the skin, and to appear dynamic.
- It prevents sagging of the skin, helps to tighten the skin, in addition to it prevents the appearance of wrinkles, white lines and thin on the surface of the skin.
- The skin gets rid of the pimples and scars that form on the surface.
- Works to clean deep in the skin.
- When used consistently, it helps to smooth and smooth the surface of the skin.
- It is a miracle solution for people with oily skin, as it works to get rid of excessive oils produced by the skin.
- Permanently eliminates skin fading.
- Calms facial infections instantly.
- Deeply removes layers of dead skin, helps cell regeneration.
- Works to close the pores inside which impurities and dust are deposited.
- It can be used by those with dry skin to deeply moisturize.
- It removes blackheads from the skin.
- It removes the small excess hair on the surface of the face.
- Works to lighten dark spots on the skin.
Charcoal face mask benefits for oily skin
It is recommended to use a charcoal mask for the face with oily skin because it works to eliminate many of the problems you face, as it works on:
- One of the most problematic skin, especially in the summer, charcoal works to get rid of the excess fat that it secretes, and it works on its balance.
- It deeply cleanses the skin, eliminating bacteria and germs that are the main cause of pimples and scars.
- This type of skin suffers from dullness and the appearance of tiredness, so charcoal works on its freshness and shine remarkably.
- It also works to close the large pores in it.
- It effectively treats the pimples formed on the surface of the skin, as it removes the marks that they leave later.
- Preparation method: a spoonful of charcoal, a spoonful of ground rice, with half a tablespoon of baking soda, and add half a tablespoon of almond oil to it. Mix the ingredients and rub them on the skin for a quarter of an hour, then rinse with lukewarm water.
Charcoal face mask benefits and gelatin
Grind the charcoal beans, add gelatin powder to it, knead it with warm water, and put it on the skin for about twenty minutes, then remove the layer after it dries completely, this recipe works on:
- Remove blackheads from deep within.
- It is considered a cosmetic remover that accumulates on the face.
- Soothes irritation.
- Helps unclog large pores.
- It removes the skin from the accumulated oil and dirt
- Regenerates skin cells.
Damage to charcoal face mask
- Get accustomed to using a charcoal mask, as inhaling it leads to nausea and vomiting.
- Some skin suffer from allergies to the charcoal component, which leads to skin irritation.
- Inhaling it can lead to shortness of breath.
- Excessive use of it leads to chest sensitivity, in addition to some stomach disorders that may lead to diarrhea.
- It can also enter the eye while applying the mask, leading to inflammation and redness.
- Therefore, a teaspoon should be tried on the skin, as an experiment to ensure that the skin is not sensitive to this component.
We have presented to you the most important benefits that accrue to the skin from using a charcoal mask, as well as the damage caused by its overuse. However Charcoal face mask has both benefits and disadvantages.
Share “Charcoal face mask benefits and disadvantages” with others